ChildCare Action Project:
Christian Analysis of American Culture (CAP)
CAP Graphic Data Display Explanation
As an example CAP data display, the CAP Thermometers to the left are for Stigmata (1999).
1. The movie title, the year it was released, and its Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) rating
2. The designators of the six CAP Investigation Areas: W, Wanton Violence/Crime; I, Impudence/Hate; S, Sex/Homosexuality; D, Drugs/Alcohol; O, Offense to God; and M, Murder/Suicide
3. A transverse bar indicating the position of the Final Score in relationship to the individual Investigation Area scores, each in relation to the zero (minumum) to 100 (maximum) scoring range.
4. The six CAP thermometers, one for each of the CAP Investigation Areas: W, I, S, D, O and M. The taller the "mercury" in a thermometer, the higher the level of acceptable programming in that Investigation Area ONLY.
5. The scoring data card: Area Score - the actual CAP scoring in each CAP Investigation Area; Examples per Hour - the frequency of examples of ignominy per hour in each area; the CAP Final Score; the CAP Influence Density (ID).
Previously, MPAA bands were identified revealing the CAP scoring ranges for each MPAA rating (G: 100 to 87; PG: 86 to 68; PG-13: 67 to 55; R: 54 and below). Note that after more than 230 movie analyses, the CAP Entertainment Media Anlaysis Model has been proven to be reliable and consistent in projecting the correct Motion Picture of Association of America (MPAA) ratings. It is no longer necessary to relate the MPAA rating to CAP scoring. Thus, references to the MPAA rating system in CAP media analyses and data scoring cards after MAR03898 have been removed. If you wish a detailed explanation of the CAP scoring system and the model used to determine CAP scoring (except the equations and formulae used) please visit CAP Methodology.
The ChildCare Action Project (CAP) is a nonprofit Christian ministry. We rely on public support. If you wish to contribute to the CAP, please send your donations to
ChildCare Action Project
Post Office Box 177
Granbury, TX 76048-0177
Tax exemption applies in accordance with Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Tax Codes.
Please feel free to write to us.
Use the BACK feature of your browser to return to the CAP analysis report you were viewing, or you are welcome to
Go back to the CAP Reports Page
Top of the CAP Home Page
CAP Table of Contents
or leave me an email message or comment at
Thank you for visiting us and may God bless you. Prayerfully, we will provide you with some of the most revealing commentary and investigative reporting you have ever read.
In the name of Jesus:
Lord, Master, Teacher, Savior, God.
Thomas A. Carder
ChildCare Action Project: Christian Analysis of American Culture (CAP)
Copyright ChildCare Action Project (CAP)